Afro-Caribbean Wellness Staples (2/28)
Here's some Afro-Caribbean staples you may want to add to your shopping list!
- Commonly used to treat
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- type 2 diabetes
- to increase breast milk production
- Though not enough studies have been done to validate these claims.
- rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
- Contains niacin and folic acid.
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial
2. Alum Stone
- Traces back over 4000 years to the North African region.
- As a natural antiseptic, it is also used to clot the blood and treat common post-shaving skin problems, such as minor cuts and razor bumps.
- To use, simply wet the stone and gently rub it over the shaved area.
Widely used for many things including:
- hair removal
- water treatment
- medicines and vaccines
- food preparations (baking powder and pickling)
- flame retardant
- leather tanning
- dyeing textiles
- Dissolving iron and steel